If you have a disability or illness you may be nervous about traveling. And that’s understandable. There’s a lot that goes into traveling when you’re completely healthy, so adding something like a medical condition to the mix can definitely complicate things. But it can be done, and we think it should be done. We truly believe that travel can be therapeutic. Not only has traveling helped both of us cope with Sarah having an incurable disease, but it has also helped her lead a healthier lifestyle.
We’ve traveled to more than 55 countries in the nine years since Sarah’s diagnosis. And we spent a full year on the road. We’ve always included information about accessibility into our posts about the places we visit, but we’ve started writing and curating dedicated accessible travel guides.
Along the way, we’ve also connected with other like-minded people who love to travel despite what others may see as limitations. With their help, we’re happy to be able to feature diverse accessible travel tips on a variety of topics. From traveling with a chronic illness, to dealing with medical devices and medication on the road, to wheelchair travel, we cover a lot of ground.
Hopefully you find some inspiration or practical tips to help you overcome any hesitation and get out there and see the world.
Accessible destination guides
- Planning an accessible trip to Berlin
- Accessible travel guide to Bern, Switzerland
- Accessible travel guide to Tromso, Norway
- Things to do in Aarhus, Denmark (including quite a bit of accessibility information)
- Wheelchair accessible things to do in Tenerife
- How to plan a wheelchair accessible trip
- 10 tips for wheelchair users planning a Disneyland Paris holiday
- Wheelchair travel tips from a wheelchair user
Accessible travel tips
- Accessible travel tips from frequent travelers
- Accessible outdoor activities
- Adapted camping solutions for people with mobility challenges
- Tips for traveling with fibromyalgia (and other chronic illnesses)
- Traveling with IBD
- First time cruising tips for people with chronic diseases
- Overcoming travel anxiety
Traveling with a lung disease
- Everything you need to know about flying with oxygen
- 10 tips for traveling with a lung disease
- Tips for traveling with LAM
- All about my portable oxygen concentrator (and why I love it)